For the 3rd addition of our area bucket lists we will focus on the Ocoee River Area. Located on the Ocoee Scenic Byway (Hwy. 64) between Murphy, NC and Ducktown, TN, you will find a multitude of activities and history in this area. Here are some of our favorite things to do:
1. Pick berries and apples at Mercier Orchards – Mercier Orchards is now celebrating over 70 years of fruitful harvest! The combination of our U-PICK events, Bakery & Deli, Market Store, and now, a Farm Winery, makes us a great choice for a day trip with the family! Check out their updates to see what events are coming up next! (12 miles from Wildwater Ocoee)
2. Take a historical trip at the Ducktown Basin Museum -150 years of history in about an hour. On the site of the old Burra Burra Mine, the unique heritage of one of America’s great copper mining communities comes to life once again.
3. Camp by the Ocoee River at Thunder Rock Campground – Located just north of the 1996 Olympic Site, behind TVA Powerhouse Number 3, Thunder Rock Campground is nestled along the banks of the Ocoee River. Thunder Rock Campground offers 42 campsites with picnic tables & grills. There are also two trail heads in the surrounding area, Thunder Rock Express and Dry Pond Lead.
4. Take a ride on the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway – With a group of local investors stepping in to preserve rail service into north Georgia, passenger trains are operating again in the beautiful North Georgia Mountains. The Blue Ridge Scenic Railway travels between Blue Ridge and Mccaysville/CopperHill with great views and layovers for sight seeing at each location. Check out their specialty train trips!
5. Rest peacefully at The Company House Bed and Breakfast Inn – If you are looking for a beautiful bed and breakfast or inn around Ducktown, Tennessee, then The Company House Bed and Breakfast is for you! Located near the Ocoee River, all rooms have private in room baths and a world famous breakfast is served each morning.
And of course, don’t forget about Wildwater Rafting and Zipline Canopy Tours!