As we continue our Bucket List series, we want to highlight several of the Must-Dos in the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge area. Admittedly, many of these activities focus on the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP) but for good reason – this year is the 100th Anniversary of the National Park Service AND the GSMNP is the most visited national park in America!
1. Visit some of the beautiful waterfalls in the area.
2. Drive the Cades Cove loop. An 11-mile loop in the GSMNP, there are still many house sites and churches from more than a century ago. Also, the Park closes the road to vehicle traffic two mornings a week throughout the summer for bicycle and pedestrian traffic.
3. Visit Cataloochee Valley. The National Park Service has reintroduced a herd of elk in the GSMNP. This herd is often observed in the Cataloochee Valley area of the Park. Plan to visit during the morning or evening to see the most wildlife!
4. Adventure on and around the Pigeon River! Whether rafting on or ziplining across, come visit us on the Pigeon River, one of the top three most rafted rivers in America.
5. Stay in a caboose! Not only do you get to spend the night on a caboose, you also get to stay on a working buffalo farm.
As you spend the summer checking off your bucket list, please send us the photos!